The Global Statistical Geospatial Framework (GSGF) is a high-level framework which facilitates consistent production and integration approaches for geo-statistical information. It is generic and permits application of the framework principles to the local circumstance of individual countries.
The global framework has been developed by the joint UNSC/UN-GGIM Expert Group on Integration of Statistical and Geospatial Information, based on a national framework in Australia. Having a common method of geospatially enabling statistical and administrative data and integrating this with geospatial information through an internationally agreed framework will enable:
- new, better and more integrated information for analysis and decision making processes;
- comparisons within and between countries;
- increased information on smaller geographic areas;
- the development of common tools/applications to support the integration and sharing of data;
- commercial development of geospatial tools that will further support data integration; and,
- generally more efficient production of information.