A statistical geospatial framework for sustainable development
Following the paths of previous GEOSTAT projects (1 and 2) the general objective of GEOSTAT 3 is to foster a better integration of geospatial information and statistics, in order for the statistical community to provide more qualified descriptions and analyses of society and environment.
The main focus of GEOSTAT 3 will be to develop the European version of the Global Statistical Geospatial Framework (SGF) for the ESS, taking into account existing conditions, initiatives and European and national frameworks.
More specifically, the objectives of the GEOSTAT 3 project are to:
- Develop the European adaption of the SGF (ESS-SGF),
- Develop recommendations on how to implement the ESS-SGF in EU member states within and outside NSIs,
- Test the usefulness of the ESS-SGF and its implementation on selected indicators for the UN Sustainable Goals (SDGs),
- Support the EFGS in its networking, information sharing. Community and capacity building efforts,
- Disseminate and share the results from the GEOSTAT projects among the NSIs,
- Promote the application of geospatial statistics and the integration of geospatial information into the statistical production process, within the framework of the GSBPM,
- Better involve NMCAs or other geospatial stakeholders in the charge of geocoded registers and administrative data into the network of the EFGS,
- Contribute to the work on the integration of statistics and geospatial information into the framework of UN-GGIM.
The action will be undertaken by a network consisting of eight NSIs and three sub-contractors with vast experience in the field of geospatial information and statistics. The group forms a mix of NSIs with a longstanding history of geospatial statistics together with NSIs which have made more recent progress in the field.
The action of the project will be organized under five different work packages:
- WP-1 A European Statistical Geospatial Framework
- WP-2 Testing the ESS-SGF
- WP-3 Maintaining the EFGS website
- WP-4 Organization of EFGS conferences
- WP-5 Exploitation, distribution and dissemination
Project contact point:
Jerker Moström, Statistics Sweden email@example.com
Marie Haldorson, Statistics Sweden firstname.lastname@example.org