Call for global action - A voluntary cooperation
EFGS call for action to establish a Global Forum for GeoStatistics (GFGS). After the Lisbon 2011 conference the goal has been to cover the whole world of NSIs interested in geostatistics. Brazil will hold the first global conference for GFGS in 2015.
There are no bindings to membership, but national contact persons have to be employees at national statistical institutes (NSIs). All members are invited to annual conferences. The 2012 EFGS conference took place in Prague, and the 2013 EFGS conference will take place in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Map of the Month - Population grid for Andalusia 2013
The Institute of Statistics and Cartography of Andalusia (IECA) presents the results of its project "A population grid for Andalusia. Year 2013". A bottom-up approach achieved the georeferentiation of 87.4% of the population. The remaining 12.6% of the population has been spatially allocated using statistical techniques and ancillary information. For the dissemination of the results on the internet a map viewer has been developed. Three maps are available: "Total Population", "Population by Nationality" and "Population by Age Groups", with grid of cells size 250 x 250 m. .
Source: The Institute of Statistics and Cartography of Andalusia
Nordic Forum for Geostatistics conference 2013 took place in Copenhagen 12-13th of September. The Nordic forum started in 1998. The next Nordic forum will take place in Sweden in 2015.
Programme and presentation is uploaded to EFGS conference pages.
Second GEOSTAT project in final phase
The GEOSTAT project with the aim to map the European Population on a 1km² grid-net has completed its first iteration and released a new European grid dataset for the reference year 2006 (link). The data set combines national data from the GEOSTAT consortium and voluntary contributions from several NSIs with disaggregated grid data for those countries where national data were not available.
The final report (link) outlines a vision and sets the methodological foundations for European population grid datasets. The GEOSTAT project was supported by Eurostat within the Framework of the ESSnet program (http://www.essnet-portal.eu/ ).